Virginia State Council Of Higher Education, VAHome Menu
I Am a...
Host a 1-2-3 Go! Event
Learn more about how your school can host a 1-2-3 Go! event and help students 1) Prepare, 2) Apply, 3) Pay and Go to college.
Credit for AP, IB, Cambridge and CLEP Exams
Preparing for College Test Credits
Students who earn passing scores on Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), Cambridge Advanced, and College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams may be eligible to receive course credit and/or advanced standing at Virginia institutions. In accordance with Virginia law (§23.1-906), SCHEV's policy on credit for pre-college exams asks institutions to grant as much credit as possible for passing scores, but allows the faculty to set the specific credit policies for each subject based on the institution's academic standards and the likelihood of students' continued success in that subject. This means that credit awards may differ across institutions depending on the exam, the score, and a student's choice of major.
SCHEV asks institutions to report their exam credit policies and makes that information available to the public through its report, Advanced Placement Tests and Scores Accepted by Virginia Institutions. You can see exam credit policies for a particular institution by using the drop-down menu at the top of the page. Credit policies are reported to SCHEV and updated in our database each fall. Although this information is accurate to the best of our knowledge, changes to these policies may not be reflected immediately in SCHEV's records.
Students interested in receiving credit for their AP, IB, Cambridge or CLEP exam performance should review the institutional policies below and contact their preferred institution(s) directly with any questions about credit awards and how credits might be applied to a particular course of study. Final authority regarding credit awards rests with the institutions.
- Christopher Newport University
- George Mason University (scroll down to the "Academic Credit By Exam" section)
- James Madison University
- Longwood University (select the desired exam type from the bulleted menu on the right)
- Norfolk State University
- Old Dominion University
- Radford University
- Richard Bland College (scroll down to see score equivalency tables)
- University of Mary Washington
- University of Virginia
- University of Virginia's College at Wise
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia Community College System (click "Policies" tab in upper right corner; scroll down to Section 5: Educational Programs; click on Section 5.06: Academic Policies; scroll down to Section 188.8.131.52c)
- Virginia Military Institute
- Virginia State University
- Virginia Tech
- William & Mary (click link to "Pre-Matriculation Test Table" for all exam types)