Virginia State Council Of Higher Education, VAHome Menu
Read the 1955 report that led to the founding of SCHEV.
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) is the Commonwealth's coordinating body for higher education. SCHEV was established by the Governor and General Assembly in 1956. Then as now, our mission, which is outlined in the Code of Virginia, is "to advocate and promote the development and operation of an educationally and economically sound, vigorous, progressive, and coordinated system of higher education in the Commonwealth of Virginia and to lead state-level strategic planning and policy development and implementation based on research and analysis …. The Council shall also seek to facilitate collaboration among institutions of higher education that will enhance quality and create operational efficiencies and shall work with institutions of higher education and their boards on board development.”
To fulfill our mission, SCHEV makes higher education public policy recommendations to the Governor and General Assembly in such areas as capital and operating budget planning, enrollment projections, institutional technology needs, and student financial aid. SCHEV administers a variety of educational programs that benefit students, faculty, parents, and taxpayers. SCHEV serves as a catalyst to promote greater access, quality, affordability, and accountability throughout the system. SCHEV also helps policymakers, college administrators, and other concerned leaders work cooperatively and constructively to advance educational excellence.
SCHEV Mission & Values
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) is the Commonwealth of Virginia’s coordinating agency for higher education. As an entity of the Commonwealth of Virginia government, SCHEV exists to serve the public interest and to assist the state’s system of higher education.
To advocate and promote the development of an educationally and economically sound, vigorous, progressive and coordinated system of higher education in Virginia.
We fulfill our mission by:
- Leading state-level strategic planning and policy development that promotes greater access, quality, affordability and accountability.
- Implementing policy and programs based on research and analysis.
- Facilitating collaboration among institutions of higher education that enhances quality, advances educational excellence and creates operational efficiencies.
- Recommending higher education policies and funding to the Governor and General Assembly that support our mission.
- Communicating openly, honestly and effectively to the public.
Our Statement of Values
SCHEV aspires to be a great place to work. Values are the principles and ideals that help us make judgments about what is most important. As leaders and employees of the Commonwealth and SCHEV, we abide by the Commonwealth’s Standards of Conduct for Employees and related policies and procedures as a starting place. Beyond that, SCHEV values honesty, quality, diversity, inclusion, growth-orientation, personal well-being, equity, transparency and accountability. To enact these values we are guided in our actions and decision-making by the following commitments:
- We fulfill all professional duties with honesty and integrity.
- We maintain a high standard of quality in our work and we embrace opportunities to improve.
- We recruit, hire, support and advance a diverse spectrum of individuals.
- We create a welcoming and inclusive environment where we celebrate the value and contributions of each person.
- We foster a culture that encourages growth through professional development, career pathways and collaboration.
- We encourage and support staff in maintaining a healthy and balanced life.
- We act equitably and work to remedy inequitable situations.
- We live and practice these values with transparency and accountability.
Through these values, we create a welcoming work environment that represents the best of who we are as an agency and as individuals.
SCHEV's Plan to Advance Excellence through Diversity, Equity and Inclusion serves as a guide to promoting these values and operationalizing the agency's commitments. As a measure of accountability and compliance, the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) Plan was submitted to the Governor's Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion on July 1, 2021, in accordance with House Bill 1993. Development of the plan was informed by feedback received from SCHEV staff and management throughout a nine-month reflective process.