Virginia State Council Of Higher Education, VAHome Menu
Financial Aid Resources
Note: SCHEV does not endorse non-SCHEV sites behind the links below. SCHEV provides them for your information and/or additional research.
- Virginia529 College Savings Plan - Learn how to save for college using an IRC Section 529 qualified state tuition program with both prepaid and savings trust investment options.
- Virginia Community College System (VCCS) - Information about Virginia's community colleges and resources.
- Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia - Information about Virginia’s private colleges and universities.
- Virginia Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (VASFAA) - Questions answered, links, and resource ideas from Virginia’s financial aid professionals.
- Virginia Department of Veteran Services
- Virginia Army National Guard - Information about tuition assistance.
U.S. Government Websites
- Federal Student Aid - Available federal programs, how to apply, and resource guide for federal students loans
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) - Online financial aid application
- Federal Student Aid ID - Obtain an FSA ID for Federal Student Aid on this government website.
- Federal Financial Aid Toolkit - Federal student aid information and outreach tools for counselors, college access professionals, nonprofit mentors, and others
- Student Loan Repayment Options - Options for repaying student loans including public service loan forgiveness and teacher loan forgiveness.
- National Student Loan Data System - Central database for recipients of federal student loans and grants. Students can use this database to access and inquire about their federal loans and/or grant data.
- Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group - Information on resolving student loan disputes.
- U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs - Federal education benefits for Military Veterans and their Families
- Tax Benefits for Education - Find out about what is available and how to qualify for federal tax relief.
- American Opportunity - Find out about what is available and how to qualify for federal tax relief.
- Lifetime Learning Credits - Find out about what is available and how to qualify for federal tax relief.
- Office of the Inspector General - Information on how to report financial aid fraud, scams, and misuse of federal funds.
- Federal Trade Commission
- Consumer information regarding scholarship and financial aid scams
- Consumer information regarding student loans
- NCES College Navigator - A U.S. government site that allows future students to evaluate and compare institutions’ prices, financial aid, enrollment fees and academic disciplines.
- D.C. Tuition Assistance Grant (DC TAG) Program - Information and how to apply to this program for DC residents attending colleges and universities across the country.
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Additional Resources to Assist in Your Search for Financial Aid
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA)
- The College Board
- FinAid! The SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid
- FinAid! Financial Aid Calculators - Calculators to help you project college costs, budget your savings, and estimate your financial need.
- Information for Financial Aid Professionals - IFAP is a site for financial aid professionals, banks, lenders, institutions and guarantee agencies.