Virginia State Council Of Higher Education, VAHome Menu
I Am a...
GEAR UP Virginia COVID-19 Update
2017-18 Year in Review Summary
2017-18 Year In Review Accessible PDF
In effort to increase student college enrollment and success and to transform the lives of low-income families and their communities, GEAR UP Virginia (GUV) began offering college preparatory services and skills development to a cohort of seventh-grade students in 22 middle schools in 13 districts beginning in 2021-2022. These students will receive support through their first year of college, following high school graduation in 2026. GUV also offers critical college preparation services annually to juniors and seniors in three school divisions, and supports them through their first year of college.*
Goals and Objectives
Goals are to:
- Increase the academic performance and college preparation of GUV students;
- Increase the number of students in rigorous courses;
- Increase knowledge of college and financial aid among students and their families;
- Improve college readiness rates; and 5) increase college enrollment rates.
Activities and Services
GEAR UP services include:
- Tutoring and mentoring;
- Summer programs to promote transition to high school and, later, transition to college;
- Professional development for teachers in core academic areas;
- College and financial aid awareness workshops for students/parents;
- Visits to a variety of colleges;
- Counseling and advising related to college and career;
- Academic services in high school so that students do not need remediation in college;
- Outreach to help high school graduates as they transition to postsecondary education.
2021-2028 Divisions by School and Superintendent Region